Philly Cheesesteak


At my transplant center I have the support of an excellent post transplant team. One of my transplant coordinators has been with the program since the very first transplant, which was 25 years, 6 months ago. One on my cardiologists has been there almost as long. We are talking about a very high level of experience and expertise. Added to this experience is a high amount of compassion from all and a high level of being realistic about dealing with the patients. There are 5 transplant coordinators and about 12 cardiologists on the team, plus staff.

Be assured that once in a while someone on the team will have a less than stellar day, or someone has “pushed their buttons” once too often, but overall they are WONDERFUL people and medical practitioners.

When I go for my routine clinical visits I have my list of questions ready. I ask away and they answer. If I have doubts about anything, I will present my case based on facts/research. 99% of the time we work any doubts or issues. The other 1% I have probably caved in and said “OK”.

I was about 18 months out from my heart transplant and was at my center for my heart biopsy (right heart cath), labs, X-rays, etc. During my clinical office visit, I was chit chatting with the cardiologist I saw that day and mentioned that we were going to Philadelphia to see our son and his family. The Dr said, “I used to work in Philly” and asked where we were going and what we were going to do. We told him roughly what the plans were and he looks right at me and says, “while you are there, you MUST have a Philly Cheesesteak. Once you get it, walk to the curb and lean your upper body out over the street (he demonstrated) and let the grease drip into the street.”

My wife sat there with her mouth wide open and in total awe of this Dr. She asked, “You are actually TELLING him to eat a Cheesesteak?” He looks her straight in the eye and said, “sure, it’s part of life in Philly and one sandwich is NOT going to hurt anything.”

I was cracking up. I still have not eaten that Philly Cheesesteak, but at some point I will.

My post transplant team is realistic. Live life and be happy.

Philly Cheesesteak

About DAP

I am a heart transplant recipient and these are my stories and thoughts. My desire is to assist others pre or post heart transplant in anyway possible. Please feel free to contact me if you have a question.
This entry was posted in General, Heart Transplant and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s