The most precious possession that ever comes to a man in this world is a woman’s heart.~ Josiah G. Holland
Tomorrow, Feb 1st, is the beginning of “American Heart Month” and it also the beginning of “Go Red for Women” month, where women and heart disease are highlighted.
I support both campaigns and will, to turn this blog RED for the next month in honor of all women that have or will have a heart “issue”.
Men, DON’T let those ladies in your life go without treatment or being checked if there’s even a remote chance of a heart problem. Ladies, don’t be like men and IGNORE the signs …… get to the doctor immediately.
Here are a few eye-opening facts –
- Only 13 percent of women view heart disease as a health threat, even though it’s women’s No. 1 killer
- Cardiovascular disease (CVD) kills 480,000 women a year, about one per minute
- One in three adult females and males in the United States suffers from a form of CVD
- CVD claims more lives than the next four most common causes of death combined
- On average, an American dies of CVD every 35 seconds
- Coronary heart disease is the No. 1 single killer of women over age 25
- Sixty-four percent of women who died suddenly of coronary heart disease had no previous symptoms
- One in 2.6 female deaths are from CVD, compared with one in 30 from breast cancer
- Heart disease rates in post-menopausal women are two to three times higher than in pre-menopausal women of the same age